WE HAVE A TENTATIVE CONTRACT AGREEMENT!
Ratification votes will take place next week.
It has been an extraordinary few months of negotiations, with some ups and downs. And on Thursday evening, September 23, we were able to come to a tentative contract agreement with the League. Credit goes to 1199 members from Long Island to Poughkeepsie—and everywhere in between—who took action and stood unified and strong, we did this without having to strike. The agreement meets the priority goals conveyed by members early on through contract surveys.
We will maintain our employer-paid health and pension benefits and we will receive a wage increase in every year of the contract!
THESE ARE HIGHLIGHTS. Please see a committee member or organizer for a copy of the Memorandum of Agreement (MOA).
- General Wage Increases, Increases to Minimum Rates, Steps and Lump Sum Wage Payments
Wage increases and corresponding adjustments as follows:
- Lump Sum Recognition Payment November 1, 2021
- Effective with the first payroll period following November 1, 2021, each full-time Employee on the payroll on that date and who was employed ninety days prior to that date, will receive a lump sum recognition payment of $3,000, representing appreciation for their heroic efforts during the COVID-19 pandemic. The payment will be prorated for part-time employees.
- The lump sum recognition payment will be in a separate check. Withholding shall be based on the most favorable tax treatment for Employees permitted by law.
- Our healthcare benefits and our pensions will be preserved, with no out-of-pocket expenses.
- Our small funds: Childcare, Training & Upgrading, Job Security and Labor Management Initiative will also be maintained.
- In a historic move, our contract formally recognizes the importance of Juneteenth in our nation’s history, and allows 1199 members at League facilities an added holiday to celebrate and recognize the day when freedom became a reality for every single American.
- All retirees will receive a one-time bonus worth 3 percent of their pension benefit.
- Dozens of professional and technical members will now receive preceptor pay. Furthermore, professional and technical members will have stronger wage reopener language.
- RNs gained many improvements including additional funds for increasing the RN base rate, improved language on floating, and the ability to create a labor-management committee dedicated to analyzing our hospitals’ handling of current and future healthcare crises. Negotiations about staffing guidelines on every unit will continue and APRNs may qualify for a rate adjustment that can be bargained during the life of the contract.
- Employment Security Protected Status: We secured the protective status language in our contract.
This agreement will not take effect until it is ratified by the majority of the League 1199SEIU membership. Contact your organizer to find out when and where the vote is taking place at your institution.
Click here to download original PDF version.